Keeping Ryan Upright: Where does Raimann fit with the Colts?

pro-day-04
Offensive lineman Bernhard Raimann performs a blocking drill, Tuesday March 15, in the Indoor Athletic Complex.

Projected as a potential first-round pick, former Central Michigan offensive tackle Bernhard Raimann had high hopes as Commission Roger Goodell took the stage for the 2022 NFL draft. 

However, Friday turned into Saturday and Raimann watched as his line-mate Luke Goedeke find a home in Tampa. The Austrian-born 24-year-old was left to wonder when his time would come. 

Then with the 13th pick in the third round, the Indianapolis Colts made the 6-foot-7 303-pound left tackle its first selection of the draft. 

New Era in Indianapolis

Prior to the draft, Pro Football Focus ranked Raimann as the third-best tackle available.

“Two years ago, Raimann was playing tight end. Now, he's got a legitimate shot to be a first-round pick. He earned the second-highest grade of any offensive lineman this past season and allowed only 10 pressures.”

Moving on from the Carson Wentz Experiment, head coach Frank Reich entered the 2022 off-season looking to strengthen Indianapolis' offensive line for newly acquired quarterback Matt Ryan. 

With teams stacking the box to stop Jonathon Taylor, the Colts’ chances of maintaining running lanes took a hit as they lost left tackle and former Chippewa Eric Fisher as well as right guard Mark Glowinski. 

Raimann is currently projected to back up starting left tackle Matt Pryor. Pryor started six games at left tackle for the Colts during the 2021 season, their offensive line allowed 32 sacks. 

Having only played two seasons at left tackle, NFL.com's Lance Zierlein sees Raimann as a developmental piece with long-term potential.

"With alluring athleticism and an impressive skill set, Raimann is just scratching the surface of his potential," Zierlein wrote. "His initial transition from tight end to left tackle occurred in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic,  making his rapid transformation fairly remarkable. He is a much better technician than he should be at this stage, but his approach is also mechanical and he could struggle against sophisticated edge defenders until he learns to diversify his pass sets and hand usage. Raimann's  instincts and fundamentals at the position are still in a developmental  phase so bumps in the road are expected, but his best football is ahead  of him and he should become a long-time starter at left tackle."