New details announced for CLASS department merger

dsc-2594

Anspach Hall was opened in 1966 and currently houses the college of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The hall's first and most recent renovation in 2011 included a two-story addition which gave it the look that we know today. 

The Department of Political Science and Public Administration is joining together with the Sociology and Social Work programs to create the new School of Politics, Society, Justice, and Public Service (SPSJPS) effective Fall 2022. 

New details were announced in an email to students in the respective departments today. 

"We are confident that this transformation will eventually bring about changes that will allow us to better serve all our students," the email read.

The message reaffirmed that departmental changes will be minimal other than the department office being moved to Anspach 142 and Elbert Almazan being selected to serve as chair starting on July 1.

Faculty will remain in the offices they are in now and program requirements will not be affected.

"The changes you will see are the results of constant behind-the-scenes work to make sure you have the best, most dynamic, most up to date courses and best opportunities to hone your interests and work toward your chosen careers," the email read.

SPSJPS is one of a handful of mergers announced earlier this semester.

As a part of the Academic Program Prioritization that began in Fall 2020, the CMU Board of Trustees approved the following new departments in June 2021:

The Department of Philosophy, Anthropology and Religion will be created by a merger of Anthropology, Philosophy and Religion.

The Department of History, World Languages, and Cultures will be created by merging History and World Languages and Cultures.

The Cultural and Global Studies major, and minor will be placed on hiatus this fall though some of the nine related certificates will be offered under the newly-merged departments.

Undergraduate certificates in African and African Diaspora Studies, American Indian Studies, East Asian Studies and Latin American and Latino Studies will be moved into the Department of History, World Languages and Cultures.

The certificate in Cultural Competency will be moved into the Department of Philosophy, Anthropology and Religion and will join a new minor in Intergroup Relations and Justice.