Postseason awards roundup: Four Chippewas named to MAC baseball first team

doubleheader-game-2-2
Sophomore outfielder Jakob Marsee runs after getting a hit on Saturday, May 7, at Theunissen Stadium.

Four Central Michigan Chippewas earned first team all-Mid-American Conference honors as the conference unveiled its postseason honors Tuesday. 

Senior infielders Mario Camilletti and Justin Simpson earned first team honors at second base and shortstop, while redshirt sophomore outfielder Jakob Marsee gave the Chippewas a third fielder. Redshirt sophomore pitcher Andrew Taylor rounded out the first teamers.

Camilletti leads the MAC in both batting average and on-base percentage, reaching at a .518 clip while maintaining a .392 average. Simpson is third in on-base percentage (.470), while Marsee is fifth (.466). 

Taylor finished the regular season 8-3, ranking near the top of the MAC in a number of categories. He's second in strikeouts (107), one behind Toledo's Kyle Jones for the conference lead. Among other stats, he's fourth in earned run average (2.73), tied for second in wins (8) and second in opposing batting average (.194). 

It's the second consecutive appearance on the first team for Camilletti and Taylor, while its the first in both Marsee and Simpson's time as Chippewas. Camilletti and Marsee were also named to the MAC's All-Defensive team. 

Senior pitcher Jordan Patty and redshirt sophomore utility player Drew Lechnir were named to the conference's second team. 

The Chippewas are scheduled to begin MAC tournament play Wednesday against Toledo. First pitch is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.