CMU lacrosse defeats Kent State, advances to MAC championship

lax_4_23-03
Bel Air senior Jillian Baldwin on defense during the game against Robert Morris University on Saturday, April 23 at the CMU Lacrosse Complex.

A dominant effort Thursday put Central Michigan lacrosse one win from a Mid-American Conference championship. 

CMU thumped Kent State Thursday 15-5, sending itself into the championship of the MAC tournament against the winner of Youngstown State and Robert Morris. The championship will be held Sunday at CMU's lacrosse complex. 

The Chippewas came out of the gate hot, scoring 5 goals in the first quarter. CMU only gave up one goal in the first quarter. Brennan Paddy set the tone with two early goals. 

CMU kept its foot on the gas, scoring five more goals in the second quarter. Kelly Hoyt posted two scores of her own. 

In the first half CMU out shot Kent State 19-10, even with having 9 turnovers. Twelve of those shots were on goal for the Chippewas.

The Chippewas continued to dominate Kent State in the second half as they outscored them 4-0 in the third quarter. Maggie Diebold scored two goals in the quarter. Diebold added the only goal for the Chippewas in the fourth quarter as they sailed easily to the victory.

CMU ended the game with 29 shots, with 21 of those shots coming on goal. Kent State only had 20 shots on goal, with 14 of those shots on goal.

Seven players for CMU found the back of the net, with Maggie Diebold and Paddy scoring hat tricks. Diebold is on a 9 game hat trick streak.