Camilletti earns first team All-American honors, Taylor second team All-Region

20220423-img-8707

General caption: CMU Baseball has a clean sweep today, Saturday, April 23, at Theunissen Stadium against Akron. With winning today's double header, our Chippewas have 17 straight wins and an overall team record of 27-10.

Senior infielder, Mario Camilletti, walking on before the start of the first inning against Akron, Saturday, April 23.

Mario Camilletti and Andrew Taylor received postseason honors from the American Baseball Coaches Association and Rawlings for their performance in the 2020 season. Camilletti was a first team All-Region and All-American selection, while Taylor earned a spot on the All-Region second team. 

Both played key roles on the Chippewas' 2022 team that won the Mid-American Conference tournament and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Both were first team All-MAC selections. 

Camilletti, a senior second baseman from Sterling Heights, ranked 16th in the country with a .498 on-base percentage. He finished the season leading the country in runs and hits while hitting .376 with seven home runs and 20 doubles. 

Transferring from Oakland in 2021, Camilletti had an exceptional two-year career with the Chippewas. He ends his career at CMU with a .500 on-base percentage and ranks sixth in team history in walks with 115.  Camilletti was also announced as a finalist for the ABCA/Rawlings Gold Glove Award at second base. 

Taylor finished his season on the mound with a 8-4 record and a 2.45 ERA. He set the single-season record for strikeouts, a record he held previously from his performance in 2021, with 176. The Alto native ranks sixth in program history in strikeouts. 

Taylor was named a first team All-American in 2021, earning the recognition from several outlets including ABCA/Rawlings, D1 Baseball and Baseball America. 

Both players are eligible for the MLB Draft, with Taylor recently attending the Draft Combine in San Diego, California. The Draft is scheduled for July 17-19 in Los Angeles, California.