Central Michigan women’s field hockey defeats Saint Louis in new head coach Jennifer Johnstone's debut

field-hockey-10-15-1
Sophomore midfielder Hannah Havarilla battles with an Ohio player, Friday, Oct. 15, 2021, Cristy Freese Field. The Chippewas would go on to lose the game in double overtime with a final score of 2-1.

In head coach Jennifer Johnstone’s first game at the helm, Central Michigan field hockey shutout Saint Louis 2-0 on Friday. 

The Chippewas are now 1-0. 

“It’s great that we got the win today,” Johnstone said. “I think a lot of it comes from the preparation and focus that the players have had from the start. A lot of it comes from their work and what they’ve been doing on the field to get better and help write a new chapter for Chippewa field hockey.”

After two scoreless quarter, the Billikens’ offense went on the attack, but CMU junior goalkeeper Katie Maxim came up with back-to-back saves to end the threat. 

A few minutes later in the third quarter, sophomore Kaitlyn Bowker scored the first goal of the season for the Chippewas on an assist from sophomore Kate Biglin. 

In the fourth quarter, senior Alice O’Hagan put the dagger in the game, recording her first goal of the year to give the Chippewas a 2-0 lead. 

CMU finished with eight shots on goal compared to five for Saint Louis. 

Maxim stopped every shot she faced en route to her first shutout of the season. 

“Really happy for Katie but a lot of the shutout can be credited to the team’s discipline on defense. We really limited their opportunities and really managed those they had effectively,” said Johnstone.

The Chippewas will play once again at East Lansing as they take on American University Sunday, Nov. 28 at 11 a.m.