CMU to name football field after former coaches Kramer, Deromedi

football-1111-action
The CMU Chippewas won 54-30 against Kent State Nov. 10 at the Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

During its Sept. 10 matchup against South Alabama, Central Michigan University will name the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium after two former coaches. 

As part of a million-dollar fundraising effort, the playing surface will be known as Kramer/Deromedi Field inside Kelly/Shorts Stadium, in recognition of coaches Roy Kramer and Herb Deromedi. 

"We are proud to honor the rich tradition and football history at CMU by dedicating this field to coach Roy Kramer and coach Herb Deromedi," said athletic director Amy Folan in a press release. "The indelible imprint of these two legendary CMU leaders has benefited so many throughout the years and will continue to benefit future generations. It is befitting that this prominent space they helped build will carry their names.”

Kramer led the Chippewas to an 83-32-2 record during his 11 seasons as head coach, including winning a Division II National Championship and Coach of the Year honors in 1974.

"I am honored and very humbled by this recognition of my days at Central Michigan University," Kramer said in a press release. "I am particularly honored to share this recognition with Herb Deromedi. However, this is really a celebration and recognition of the hundreds of young men who represented the pride and tradition of the Maroon and Gold of the Chippewas.”

After joining Kramer’s coaching staff in 1967, Deromedi took over as head coach at CMU in 1978. During 16 seasons in the Maroon and Gold, Deromedi posted a 110-55-10 record and three Mid-American Conference titles (1979, 1980, 1990).

"It is a tremendous honor, and very humbling, to be recognized alongside my mentor back then, and still now, Roy Kramer," Deromedi said in a press release. "I am so grateful for my time at Central Michigan and all of the men I was able to coach and all of the people that have been so impactful in my life."