Regan Foster named Director of Student Media

Hopes to begin position first day of classes

regan-foster-cover-1

Courtesy of Regan Foster

Central Michigan University’s student-run media company, Central Michigan Life, will welcome a new Director of Student Media for the first time in almost a decade.

Regan Foster was chosen out of nine candidates by a search committee made up of current and former CM Life journalists. She will replace former adviser Dave Clark.

Foster hopes to begin her position on the first day of classes, Aug. 29. 

She said she wants to get a better understanding of the campus community and its needs.

“I’m looking forward to just listening and learning and seeing what works and what we can do,” she said.

Foster said she wants to develop stronger connections with organizations and students on campus, especially to increase diversity in CM Life’s newsroom and stories.

“I would love to do some focus groups actually,” she said. “Having the student leadership sit down with different groups within the campus and again, we could bring in the greater community and say ‘Okay, what are we missing? Whose voices are we missing? What stories are we not getting?’”

Foster is currently a lecturer of journalism at Colorado State University Pueblo and faculty advisor to CSU Pueblo student media and the student-run newspaper, The Today.

She said she has recently been working with student media leaders to educate high school students on media literacy, understanding fake news and identifying valid sources. She said she hopes to transfer this work to CM Life.

Foster graduated from the University of Iowa in 2001 with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and received a Master of Science in Journalism in 2002 from Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism.