Central Michigan field hockey falls to third-ranked Michigan

field-hockey-10-15-2
Sophomore forward Kate Biglin goes to hit the ball, Friday, Oct. 15, 2021, Cristy Freese Field.

Central Michigan University field hockey traveled to Ann Arbor on Sunday, for a contest against the No. 3 ranked team in the nation, Michigan. Ultimately, the Wolverines dominated CMU in a 9-0 contest. 

The Chippewas fall to 1-3 on the season, while Michigan improves to 2-1. 

From the onset, the Wolverine took control as Abby Tamer scored two goals in the first three minutes of the first quarter. 

Michigan's Alana Richardson also added two goals in the last three minutes of the first to give the Wolverines a 4-0 lead over CMU. 

Michigan had 14 shots in the first, while the Chippewas didn't manage a shot. 

In the second quarter, the Chippewas made a switch at goalie subbing in Katie Maxim for Maja Halasz. Maxim got tested early by Michigan and answered the call, making two clutch saves. 

This would lead to a shot by Alice O’Hagan, but it was blocked by a Wolverine defender. This would be the only offensive moment in the game by CMU as they ended with one shot. 

Maxim made another great save in the second. However, just before halftime, the Wolverines pushed the score to 5-0. 

In the third, the Wolverines came out firing. After giving up a goal within the first five, Maxim came back and saved the next six shots she faced. 

Michigan was able to put another goal on the scoreboard later in the quarter, but Maxim saved 8 of the 10 shots she faced during the third. 

During the fourth, the Chippewas tried to make a comeback, but it was too late as the Wolverines added two more goals, pushing the final score to 9-0. 

The Chippewas were outshot in the game 39 to 1 with Michigan having 25 shots on goal.

CMU will look to end its three-game losing streak when they travel to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania to take on Bucknell on Friday at 4 p.m.