CMU football trounces Bucknell at home

241d495a-7777-4c57-807c-52f8c8046d68
Petoskey junior Joel Wilson celebrates in the end zone after catching a redirected ball against Bucknell, Saturday, Sept. 17, at Kelly/Shorts stadium.

The losing streak is over. 

Although Bucknell (0-3) kept things close through 30 minutes, Central Michigan football (1-2) caught fire in the second half to secure a 41-0 win in Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Saturday.

"To their credit like I said going into the game they got some pretty unique pressures," McElwain said. "And for the most part we picked up things pretty well."

Entering halftime with seven points, the Chippewas fed sophomore running back Lew Nichols III in the third quarter. He ended the game with 170 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

While the rushing attack was a key focus, sophomore quarterback Daniel Richardson overwhelmed the Bison’s secondary. He finished the day 15-for-32 passing for 198 yards and two touchdowns.

"I was determined to make sure that Nichols was gonna get going," McElwain said. "And he did and it was great to see."

Without senior wide receivers Dallas Dixon and Carlos Carriere, sophomore Jalen McGaughy led the CMU passing attack with four receptions for 69 yards. Junior tight end Joel Wilson added a 10-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Freshman Langston Lewis hauled in his first career catch and touchdown in the fourth quarter, which he took 45 yards to the house.

Redshirt freshman Jase Bauer added two rushing touchdowns in the fourth quarter, after coming in to relieve Richardson.

As the offense found success, the Chippewa defense followed suit. Led by redshirt freshman defensive end Michael Heldman, who finished with 1.5 sacks and three tackles for loss, CMU shut out Bucknell.

Facing multiple injuries in the defensive backfield, CMU relied on redshirt freshman defensive back Caleb Spann, who stepped in for sophomore Trey Jones. Spann recorded an interception and four total tackles on the day.

The Chippewas head to Happy Valley, Pennsylvania on Saturday to face Penn State at noon.