CMU soccer falls 3-0 to Miami (OH)

d-soccer-v-miami-oh-photo-09-25-2022-3
Freshman goalkeeper Emma Shingler clears the ball to the other side of the field Sunday, Sep. 25, in Multipurpose Complex.

Battling intermittent rain showers, Central Michigan soccer (1-6-2, 0-1-1) welcomed Miami (OH) (5-2-2, 1-0-1) to Mount Pleasant on Sunday looking to secure its first Mid-American Conference win.

However, the hunt continues for the Chippewas as they lost 3-0 to the RedHawks.

“You know, it's kind of a hard one to swallow,” said head coach Jeremy Groves. “I didn't think we played great in the first half. But I mean, they didn't really do anything astounding, where we were kind of against the ropes. I mean, they had the ball in our half a little bit. 

“From my perspective, we make three mistakes, and we get punished three times, and we lose three, nil. You know, I thought, as the game went on, we started to fight back a little bit, which is encouraging. But, you know, it's disappointing to lose in that manner, when I didn’t think we did a whole lot bad.”

In the 19th minute, RedHawk defender Kennedy Gray sailed the ball past the CMU defense and onto the foot of midfielder Makenna Morrison. Morrison dribbled the ball near the end line, before firing it between Chippewa goalkeeper Emma Shingler's legs.

Seven minutes later, Miami (OH) extended its lead after a ball careened off Shingler's hands and onto the foot of defender Sophia Cross, who buried it into the lower left corner.

CMU recovered and began pressuring RedHawk goalkeeper Izzie Vaccari, however in the 67th minute Miami (OH) struck again to push its lead to three.

“There are some things that we can take away like I didn't think our performance was bad,” Groves said. “We just got to cut out the mistakes you know, if we don't make mistakes, we don't lose that game. 

“Did we do enough to win on the other side? I don't know. But again, like I don't think we really did too much wrong to lose the game either. You know, I think they kind of got away with a little bit of an easy one there.”

Junior forward Elizabeth Chlystun led the Chippewas in shots finishing with three on goal. Shingler recorded four saves in the game.

CMU committed eight fouls compared to 16 for the RedHawks.

The Chippewas face Bowling Green at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Mount Pleasant.