New treasurer elected at first SGA meeting

SGA presents its executive board at its first meeting on Sept. 22 at the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

At its first meeting of the semester on Sept. 19, Central Michigan University's Student Government Association elected senior Eve Vicary as the new treasure.

“This past year SGA has taught me that students need transparency and accessibility to all aspects of the university,  but especially the student body treasurer," she said.

SGA President Taylor Idema shared her excitement for the upcoming year.

“It’s not too often that you find yourself in a room with people who are passionate about change and further to be surrounded by your peers,” she said.

Renee Watson, vice president of Student Affairs, spoke briefly about her new role.

“It's your stories that I rely on that help me make informed decisions to advocate those decisions and enact change," she said.

After, Stan Shingles, assistant vice president for Student Affairs discussed his history with CMU.

Shingles has worked at CMU for 34 years and said he has seen several improvements at the university as a result of SGA's efforts.

Members of the SGA cabinet introduced themselves.

• Senior Leigh Robertson is the city commission liaison.
  • Senior Joe Monetta is the historian.
  • Senior Carolyn Lundin is serving as the press secretary of external affairs.
  • Junior Tyler Zimmerman is the chief of staff.
  • Senior Eve Vicary is serving as the press secretary of marketing.
  • Junior Gabrielle Allers is the student disability services liaison.
  • Junior Jeel Patel is serving as the director of equity and inclusion.
  • Junior Mackenzie Pettit is the legal clinic director.
  • Junior Sandy Edwards is the director of operations. 

After, the following committee chairs introduced themselves and talked briefly about their comittees' roles.

• Sophomore Tyler Thompson is the governmental affairs committee chair, which bridges the gap between students and governments.
  • Junior Clair Deblanc is serving as the sustainability committee chair, which focuses on environmental justice.
  • Junior Annie Laurenz is the academic affairs committee chair, which assists students with academic issues.
  • Senior Nova Moore is the diversity committee chair, which prioritizes inclusivity on campus.
  • Junior Brianna Thiel is the outreach and engagement committee chair, which heads event planning.

The budget was presented and approved by audience members for the upcoming year.

Zimmerman discussed membership requirements for Registered Student Organizations.

RSO's are allowed four unexcused absences in a semester. Violations can result in loss of funding.

Zimmerman also said RSOs can request a full or partial credit for an event or conference attended and approved by the Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC).

SBAC is looking for members to vote on allocations. Applications can be found on Engage Central.