Exhibit celebrating women in science to open Sept. 22

reeber-discgolf-10-18-20-8

Due to the occupancy limits on classrooms, the Main Gallery of the CMU Museum of Cultural and Natural History had been transformed into a classroom to accommodate more students during the COVID-19 pandemic in Oct. of 2020.

“A Century of Science and Service” will officially open from 5:30-8 p.m. on Sept. 22 at the Museum of Cultural and Natural History in Rowe Hall 124.

A reception will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. preceding the National President of the American Chemical Society, Dr. Angela K. Wilson’s presentation from 6:30-8:00 p.m.

The exhibit is a collaboration between Central Michigan University Museum Studies, Public History, Cultural Resource Management Programs and the Midland Section of the American Chemical Society. The exhibit will cover topics including learning, networking, research/gaining experience, internships and growing strengths.

Jay Martin, Director of the Museum Studies Program at CMU said Regina Malczewski, a member of the Midland Section of the American Chemical Society, is the motive force behind this exhibit.

“She is an excellent example of an accomplished woman achieving success in chemistry,” Martin said.

Malczewski said that the inspiration for the exhibit was the 100th anniversary of the Midland Section as well as achievements that have taken place in Mid-Michigan chemistry.

The exhibit, which took three years to create, first opened at the Doan Center in Midland in May 2019.

“The exhibit in Midland closed in December of 2019 and was stored by CMU; we had always intended to open the display again on campus, but the pandemic delayed our plans,” said Malczewski.

According to Martin, the collaboration for the exhibit has taken place over the last five-and-a-half years, with more than 70 CMU students participating in the research, design, writing and installation of the exhibit.

“Our partnership with Dr. Martin and his group has been a win-win relationship,” Malczewski said. “…Museum Studies students [are] learning first-hand about content and execution (and doing Science exhibits), and our team [is] getting assistance with the distillation of concepts into interesting displays that can attract the general public.”

For more information contact Executive Secretary of Museum Studies, Kristi Richards at crans1kr@cmich.edu.