CMU field hockey falls in double overtime to Ball State

fhockey-9-16-2
Bloomfield Hills junior Kate Biglin dribbles the ball during the game against Bellarmine on Friday, Sept. 16 at Cristy Freese Field.

Looking to snap its eight-game losing streak, Central Michigan field hockey lost 4-3 to Ball State in double overtime on Friday. 

The Chippewas fall to 1-9 overall and 0-3 in the Mid-American Conference, as their losing streak increases to nine games. 

“We are starting to string more attacking opportunities together which is exciting,” said head coach Jennifer Johnstone. 

In the first period, CMU junior goalkeeper Katie Maxim made five saves to keep the Cardinals off the scoreboard. Senior Alice O’Hagan and junior Kate Biglin led the way for the Chippewas offensively, but at the end of the period, both teams were locked in a scoreless tie. 

Within the first three minutes of the second period, CMU took the lead with an O’Hagan goal assisted by Biglin. Later in the period, senior forward Rachel Ruttenberg pushed the Chippewa lead to 2-0 with her first goal of the season. 

Biglin scored to push CMU's lead to three in the third. But as the period neared its end, the Cardinals snuck one in past Maxim to make the score 3-1 heading into the fourth.

Ball State scored two straight goals in the fourth to tie the game at three. CMU got off two shots, but both were saved by the Cardinals to send the game into overtime.

After a period of scoreless field hockey, the teams began the second overtime. Just as it was getting underway, Ball State scored to win the game 4-3.

“We fought hard til the end," Johnstone said. "And I am proud of the team for their efforts."

Ball State outshot CMU 34-15.

Biglin finished the day with one goal and one assist. She now leads the team in goals with five. Lane added her fourth assist of the year which leads the team.  

The Chippewas will look to bounce back on Sunday against Saint Francis at noon.