CMU field hockey falls to Kent State

fhockey-9-16-1

Lumberton junior Caroline Beairsto passes the ball during the game against Bellarmine on Friday, Sept. 16 at Cristy Freese Field.

With a 0-3 start in the Mid-American Conference, Central Michigan field hockey looked to get off to a hot start against Kent State on Sunday.

However, the Chippewas could not produce enough offense to compete with Kent State, as they lost 5-0.

“Despite the score, the team battled today,” said head coach Jennifer Johnstone. "And our defense really committed to being disciplined in our circle. Well-executed corners are hard to defend. We had some chances but struggled to put one in."

CMU's record falls to 1-12 and 0-4 in conference play. With this loss, it is currently on a 12-game losing streak.

The Golden Flashes started off the game hot, scoring two goals within the first five minutes of play. 

In the second period, KSU scored again to go up 3-0 before halftime. Chippewa freshman Maja Halasz made four saves in the period. 

CMU did not record a shot in the first half, while the Golden Flashes recorded 16 shots.

A couple of minutes after halftime, the Chippewas recorded their first shot, as senior Alice O’Hagan threatened to score. However, O’Hagan’s shot was saved by the KSU goalkeeper. 

Later in the period the Golden Flashes once again found the back of the net to take a 4-0 lead going into the fourth quarter.

CMU fought hard to come back in the fourth, but it only had one shot in the period as Kate Biglin's shot was blocked by the KSU goalie. The Golden Flashes would score again to put an exclamation mark on their 5-0 victory. 

KSU outshot the Chippewas 25-3, with 16 on goal. 

Halasz made 10 saves during the game.

CMU will look to bounce back Friday when they face Ohio in Athens at 2 p.m.

“Our goal is always to continue to grow,” said Johnstone. "And we will begin the planning and preparation for our next game at Ohio. Practice will be competitive and fast-paced to help us continue to build off the little success we have had along the way."