Barbara J. Barton to speak for Clarke Historical library speaker series

dsc-6004
Park Library in autumn on the campus of Central Michigan University on Thursday, Sept. 29.

As apart of Clarke's Historical speaker series event, Barbara J. Barton will be presenting her work at 7 p.m. on Oct. 13 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in the Park library. 

Barton is an author and endangered species biologist, and has won several awards for her book, Manoomin: The Story of Wild Rice in Michigan (2018). 

According to Central Michigan University, Barton will be speaking about the "history, culture, biology, economics and spirituality" that revolves around the sacred plant Manoomin, a wild rice. 

Furthermore, Barton will discuss the wild rice through history prior to European colonization. She will do so by presenting the different perspectives the Anishinaabek and colonizers had with Manoomin. 

In addition, Barton will explain Michigan’s history with Manoomin, why so many of these plants have vanished, and how people have tried to protect and restore the wild rice, as well as how this plant is harvested. 

A book signing and reception will take place after the event, in the Park Libary.

This event is free and open to the public. Individuals in need of accommodations should contact Clarke at clarke@cmich.edu or by phone at 989-774-386.