"Coming Home" event provides job, internship opportunities to CMU students, alumni

Nearly two dozen businesses talked with over 70 job seekers

businessevent-10-07-1

Local businesses welcomed Central Michigan University students and alumni seeking employment opportunities to a “Coming Home” event on Oct. 7 at CMU's Courtyard Marriott.

Nearly two dozen high-demand industries, such as Aircraft Precision Products Inc., Bandit Industries Inc., BMG-Brown Machine and others, opened their doors to over 70 job-seekers at the event. Participants had the chance to meet corporations they were interested in as well as share their resume.

“My expectations for this event is to create this opportunity for those who attend to feel good about their region, to find a career, to work and live here, to call this great place home," said Kati Mora, vice president of the Middle Michigan Development Corporation (MMDC).

The company was an organizer of the event along with Gladwin County Economic Development Corp., Greater Gratiot Development Inc. and Saginaw future.

Central Michigan University President Bob Davies was also in attendance at the event. He greeted participants in his opening speech and relayed the importance of providing students and alumni with local and regional employment opportunities.

"As (a) university, we cooperate with organizations to provide students with opportunities,” Davies said.

2022 was the first year the event was held in-person, after in 2020 and 2021 it happened online due to COVID-19 lockdown.

There were 21 businesses from six counties including Isabella, Claire, Gladwin, Gratiot, Saginaw and Midland. Mora said the event was a unique opportunity to find that perfect fit for an employer and employee.

“The benefit for those who attend the event is to learn what the great companies are doing,” she said. “A big challenge is finding talents."

Christine Murphy, a human resources manager for Integrity Fab and Machine Inc. and 2009 CMU alumna, said she enjoyed her time at the event.

"The turnout was really good (and) students have been engaged," she said.

Students, mostly seniors and juniors, were seeking internship opportunities and networking with the employers.

Hannah Lefabi, a CMU senior majoring in Engineering, said she enjoyed the relaxed environment.

“I am having a good time. The atmosphere is not nerve-wracking," she said.

CMU seniors, Adriana Kuffa and Caitlin Kozlowski, said they found the event to be informative.

“We would never know such opportunities went on,” Kozlowski said.

After the event, students had an opportunity to share their experience via a survey. This allowed organizers to determine how many people received job offers and what opportunities they pursued.

Mora said it was great to have the community working together, finding out about opportunities and growing economic perspectives in the region.

“This is a win,” she said.