'We have to keep playing like we did today': Central Michigan DIII hockey shuts out Adrian

d_d3chockey_photo_11-11-22_5
CMU D3 Men's Club Hockey VS. Saginaw Valley State University, Friday Nov. 11, at Martin Ice Arena.

Coming out of the net, Adrian College sophomore goaltender Brandon Hiuser went to play the puck as the Central Michigan Division III club hockey team cleared the puck out of its zone/

Skating into the zone from the other end of the ice, senior forward Andrew Porzondek faced off with Hiuser. Looking past Porzondek, Hiuser looked for an open Bulldogs defender. 

Finding an open man, Hiuser sent the puck his way. But Porzondek blocked the shot and gained control of the puck, before wrapping around the goal and slipping the puck in, putting the Chippewas up 3-0. 

“I like to take credit for that one,” said head coach Tyler Cataline. “I gave his stick a little lovetap before he went out there and then he scored, so I’m putting the assist down for me. But he works hard every game.”

Coming off a two-game losing streak, the Chippewas took down Adrian 4-0 on Friday. 

The Chippewas move to 8-5-1 on the season. 

“Tonight we just continued on what we did from last Saturday,” said Cataline. “We played hockey and we walked out of here with a 4-0 win.”

In the battle for starting goalie, freshman Elijah Jones started in the net for the Chippewas. Jones earned his second shutout of the season and moved to 4-1-1 on the season. 

“We’ve lost a few games for our goalies,” said Cataline. “Getting Elijah a win after he should have had a win last Saturday in Saginaw we wanted to get him in as soon as possible and get his confidence back up. That was a big thing too after having a three-goal lead I wanted Elijah to get his confidence back so he did and he played great.”

Just under five minutes into the game, freshman forward Conner Morgan sent a pass from behind the net to junior forward Julian Johnson. Settling the puck onto his stick, Johnson found the back of the net to open the scoring for the Chippewas. 

Two minutes later, CMU found itself on a one-man advantage as Bulldogs junior defensemen Zach Bagozzi was called for roughing. Morgan once again passed the puck to sophomore forward Andrew Szarki. Just getting the tip of the puck on his stick, Szarki found the five-hole of Hiuser extending the lead to 2-0. Morgan picked up his second assist of the game. 

“It is big, especially being a freshman,” Cataline said. “Getting points and stuff like that just shows the depth we have on this team. You know even if you’re a senior, junior, sophomore freshman, I mean they all contribute to the success that we have.” 

Porzondek's second-period shorthanded goal would put the Chippewas up 3-0. 

Keeping the momentum in their hands, sophomore forward Nathan Bottles wrapped around the front of the net and shoved the puck under Hiuser’s left pad to put the Chippewas up 4-0 with 15 minutes left in the final period. 

Despite going on the penalty kill three times in the final period, Adrian fell short as CMU locked up the shutout.

The Chippewas head to Adrian on Sunday, Nov. 20. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m.

“We have to keep playing like we did today,” Cataline said. “Just put our heads down and go to work.”