CMU loses to Tulane in Cancun Challenge Finale

d-wbball-photo-11-19-22-1
Junior center Rochelle Norris looks for a rebound during the game against Michigan State on Saturday, Nov. 19 in McGuirk Arena.

Down by eight in the second quarter, freshman forward Sydney Harris caught fire and led the charge for Central Michigan women’s basketball scoring 13 of its 18 points to go into halftime tied with Tulane. 

But ultimately, Tulane came alive in the second half and outscored the Chippewas 42-30 to give them the 78-66 victory on Friday.

CMU ended the Cancun Challenge 0-2 and fell to 0-6 on the season. 

Harris led CMU with a career-high 27 points, going six of 12 beyond the three-point line. 

Graduate forward Jahari Smith led the rebounding effort with a season-high 12 rebounds along with five points and three assists. 

The Chippewas jumped out to a 7-2 lead aided by a three from Harris to begin the first quarter. However, Tulane kept pushing forward and grabbed a 22-18 lead to end the quarter. 

Tulane began the second quarter with a small run, but the Chippewas went on a 14-4 run led by Harris. CMU went into halftime tied with Tulane at 36. 

The Green Wave began the third quarter with an eight-point run, grabbing a double-digit lead four minutes into the third quarter. The Chippewas went on a five-point run to cut the deficit, but Tulane shot right back to take the 57-49 lead into the fourth quarter. 

CMU had trouble getting anything going in the fourth quarter as Tulane took the 78-66 victory. 

The Chippewas return to Mount Pleasant to face off against North Dakota State on Saturday, Dec. 3 at 1 p.m.