GUEST COLUMN: Students hold the keys to Michigan’s future

d-whitmer-visit-photo-10-09-22-11
Governor Gretchen Whitmer smiles as she is applauded at a meet and greet event on Sunday, Oct. 9, in the Bovee University Center.

Dear Chippewas, 

These last few years have been anything but normal. But through it all, you have continued learning, growing and still finding time for joy. I am proud of you.  

As a mom of two Wolverines, I always look forward to hearing about campus life — about students discovering their passions, finding their people or exploring future paths. That spirit that lives on our campuses is the best of Michigan and of our nation. It is a sense of optimism and possibility, an energy that will power us forward in the decades to come. 

We saw that energy in record-setting voter turnout on college campuses last week. No matter why you went to the polls or who you voted for, thank you. Thank you for participating in our democracy and making your voice heard. It is my honor to serve you as governor for four more years, and I promise that I will work hard every day to make you proud. 

Your success is Michigan’s success, and I will work with anyone to make sure that you can build your future here in our beautiful state. When it comes time to decide where you want to live, work, start a business or a raise a family, I want the answer to be Michigan. That mission will drive all the work that we do in Lansing. Together, we will continue getting things done to improve your on-campus life, protect your reproductive freedom and ensure you have every opportunity to succeed when you graduate.

Let’s keep moving Michigan forward together. And before I go — I am a mom, so I have to remind you — drink plenty of water, eat a vegetable, get enough sleep and be safe. 

Fire Up Chips!

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer