Preview: The rivalry returns to McGuirk

volleyball-9-24-5

The CMU volleyball team puts their hands together to break a time-out huddle during their 3-2 win against Ball State Saturday, Sept. 24 in McGuirk Arena.

For the first time since 2019, the rivalry between Western Michigan and Central Michigan volleyball returns to Mount Pleasant with the Mid-American Conference tournament eligibility on the line. 

The series will begin on Friday at 6 p.m. with a white-out game at McGuirk. Things continue on Saturday when they face off again at 4 p.m. for senior night. 

The Chippewas are currently 16-10 overall and 9-6 in the MAC while the Broncos come into the matchup at 16-11 overall and 8-7 in conference play. 

CMU is currently in a three-way tie in the top six to qualify for the tournament while WMU is one game behind. The fate of each team’s tournament hopes will rely heavily on the results of this series. 

The Broncos have dominated the series for the past two years, defeating the Chippewas in the last four meetings.

The match on Saturday will honor the Chippewas three seniors, outside hitter Mallory Hernandez, outside hitter Anna Erickson and middle blocker Maddie Whitfield. 

Hernandez ranks first in kills for the Chippewas with 292 and Erickson is right behind her in second with 241. Whitfield leads the team in blocks with 120 and has broken two CMU records throughout her senior campaign. 

The Chippewas will look to the three seniors to lead the team in the series against the Broncos.

The Broncos will look to senior Maggie King for their offensive production against the Chippewas. King ranks second in the MAC in kills with 370.