'My sister is my best friend ': How the Liles sisters got into golf

d-golfsisters-photo-12-5-22-7
Sisters Madison and Ashley Liles pose for a photo Monday, Dec. 5, at the CMU Golf Facility.

Ashley and Madison Liles have always had a close-knit relationship. 

When the time came for younger sister Madison to choose where she would continue her academic and athletic career, it was no surprise that she followed in her sisters’ footsteps. She decided to play golf at Central Michigan University. 

“My sister is my best friend and my better half,” Madison said. “Wherever she goes, I tend to follow.” 

It wasn’t a surprise to their parents either. 

“My parents ... know me well enough to know that wherever Ashley goes I follow," Madison said. "But once I told them and ... kind of confirmed it, they were ecstatic. And they love the fact that we're together and that we get to experience this really cool thing together.”

For Ashley, having her sister at CMU has made moving back to college from Clarkston a little bit easier. 

“I'm very sentimental," Ashley said. "I get sad when I leave home. I visit home on some weekends if I have the opportunity. I love it up here, but it's always hard to say goodbye to your home. And honestly, this year I wasn't even sad. I wasn't dragging my heels, I was excited. And I think it's because half my home is here now.” 

Even though they grew up on a golf course, and  despite their dad's and grandparents' relentless efforts to get them involved, the Liles sisters had no interest in the sport. 

“It just wasn't something I was interested in," Ashley said. "I played volleyball literally from the time I was probably 8 to a freshman in high school. I didn’t pick up golf seriously until I was 14 and in high school. I wanted a break from volleyball, so I started golfing and I really liked it.” 

Like her sister, Madison found a passion for playing volleyball. However, after being told she had to quit because of a medical condition , Madison realized she wanted to give golf a shot. 

“I did hate it at first,” Madison said. “I've always looked up to big sister here. So, I think once I saw her kind of getting into it, and you know, seeing her evolution and her story, I was like: 'I think that's something I really want to do.' But I also found out that I was born with hip dysplasia and that I was going to need to get my hips reconstructed. I was basically told that I had to quit volleyball and I didn’t want to just sit here and do nothing, so I thought: 'Let’s give golf a try.'” 

Having undergone four surgeries for hip dysplasia in 18 years, Madison knows she will eventually have to get more. 

"It is something that I'm gonna have to do again," Madison said. "Hopefully, I'll be able to just get the replacements instead of the reconstruction process, because getting them replaced is much easier and less complicated than getting them actually reconstructed."

Battling conditions outside of her control, Madison looked to her sister for motivation.

It was definitely a little different for me because golf was always kind of a question mark,” Madison said. “But I think ... seeing what Ashley was doing and all the cool things that she got to accomplish ... it's kind of really put  a spark behind me and (been) like, that's something that I want to do.”

Although playing golf doesn't help with the hip dysplasia, Ashley said their strength and conditioning coach has been a great help for Madison.

"I mean, the wear and tear of golf too obviously affects them," Ashley said about Madison's hips. "But Coach Walsh, our strength and conditioning coach, does so well with her. And honestly, she's supposed to be going to PT but she doesn't even have to go anymore because he's so accommodating and helpful. We're ... building up those muscles, which I don't think she would have that opportunity to do as easily without golf.  We definitely can't ignore that."

Relying on each other

Transitioning from high school to college is hard, especially when you have a medical condition and are away from the comfort of parents, doctors and specialists. Having Ashley at the same school has made things easier for Madison as she made a big transition. 

“It’s been really good for ... my first-year experience because going into college is a very scary adjustment, especially for me,” Madison said. “I know I was very intimidated to come to college, and it's been great having her here.” 

After spending three years online due to COVID-19 in high school, in-person classes had become foreign to Madison. But Ashley has been there every step of the way. 

“We'll plan out her homework due date or how long it might take her to watch a lecture video,” Ashley said. “These are practices that I just think are so important and so foundational in order to for you to feel that success later on; and those are habits I'm so happy that I built, whereas I wish more people had the ability to build them. 

"I like to think that I'm passing on the best practices for her because they did work for me, and they made a significant difference for me. So, I do think that's important. And it's lucky too that I was able to pass that on.”

Living less than a mile away from each other not only means sleepovers like when they were little kids sharing a room, it provides a sense of comfort, knowing part of your home is so close when you need them. 

“Giving me those pep talks or just (sitting) down and have a real conversation because I'm  freaking out about something," Madison said. “It's really great having someone there that knows me inside and out, because sometimes I feel like she knows me better than I do. ... She's been able to learn and identify adversities and overcome them and not only overcome them, but teach me and show me how to do the same.”

While Ashley has been a crucial part of Madison's transition to college, she recognizes how important it is to have her little sister by her side.

“She pushes me in a better direction,” Ashley said. “And I can recognize that being older, especially and I know she can too; but those are things I appreciate. And she's way more mellow than me."

Madison is always learning from her big sister on and off the course. The biggest thing that Madison has been able to learn from Ashley while being at CMU is being more confident in herself. 

She pushes me to step outside of my comfort zone,” Madison said. “And she's definitely been... a huge advocate for me to speak up for myself because I tend to just kind of just let others talk. And I'm definitely more tentative when I speak, which has been ... a big thing in college. So, she's definitely been putting emphasis on, you know, trying to speak up for yourself a little bit more.” 

Both Ashley and Madison have learned a lot during their time here at CMU, such as how grateful they are for each other. 

“It's been amazing because I'm at the age now where I'm here to enjoy my experience,” Ashley said. "I'm trying my hardest, but I never get down on myself for my performance no matter what. This is all for the experience and it's a great one at that, and having her here with me makes it a lot more fun.”

Sisterly tension

Sometimes the advice given can be a little too much and Ashley and Madison get on each other’s nerves. Most of the time it's Madison that gets annoyed when her big sister tries to give a little friendly advice. 

“I’ll try to help her because... I’ve just had a lot more time playing," Ashley said. "I know a lot more about mechanical aspects of the swing and that’s nothing against her. I do try to help her, and she gets so pissed.” 

Although it bothers her at times, Madison understands Ashley is just trying to help. 

“I think I just subconsciously, I'm like: "No, I don't want to hear it from you,'” Madison said. “So yeah, it definitely gets on my nerves, not gonna lie, but we’re working on it. 

"We definitely balance each other very, very well. And ... if we do get on each other's nerves, we're very good at realizing that.”

While they recognize their differences, the Liles sisters have grown closer during their time at CMU.However, Ashley is a senior and in May she will graduate. 

Leaving behind golf and the school she called home for the last four years is going to be tough for Ashley, but leaving behind her little sister who is a freshman is going to be the hardest part.

“I can honestly say too, though, the relationships she's built with our trainers and advisors, and everything are way ... better than mine were when I was at her point freshman year,” Ashley said.  “So, I feel confident that even when I do graduate, she's going to be in good hands.”

Madison knows it will be a hard adjustment not having her sister so close.  

“I know it's gonna be really hard not having her here next year,” Madison said. “And I think things are gonna be very different for me not having big sister around, but it'll be a good opportunity for me to learn and grow on my own without her being here. I'm definitely gonna miss her.

“She's been a great support system and she's always had my back. She's always been there whenever I needed her, which is great. I am very appreciative of her and very grateful that I get to experience this with her.”