Central Michigan Wrestling goes 0-3 in the 2023 Chippewa Challenge

d-wrestlingvsniu-photo-1-13-23-9

Darien freshman Jimmy Nugent wrestles during a match against Northern Illinois University Friday, Jan. 13 in McGuirk Arena. Nugent was 4-10 going into the match.

Competing in the second annual Chippewa Challenge, Central Michigan wrestling went 0-3 (16-21, 17-18, 15-23) at Campbell University's Gore Arena on Sunday. 

The Chippewas matched up against three other universities that are coached by former CMU wrestlers, including Cal State Bakersfield, American University and Campbell. 

CSU and Campbell are coached by former CMU wrestlers Manny Rivera and Cary Kolat while American is coached by Jason Borelli, who is not only a former Chippewa wrestler, but also CMU's head coach Tom Borrelli's son.

American went 3-0 on the day to come out victorious in the Chippewa Challenge. 

“For me, if anyone else could win it, I would rather it be him,” Borrelli said.

Three Chippewas went undefeated on Sunday, led by junior Alex Cramer of the 174-weight class. Redshirt senior Corbyn Munson of the 157-weight class and redshirt junior Johnny Lovett of the 149-weight class also won all three matches. 

Cramer and Munson had their best performances in their last matches against Campbell, as Munson won by a major decision, 11-2, and Cramer won 16-1 on a technical fall in the first period. 

CMU closer Bryan Caves of the 285-weight class went 2-1 after defeating Bakersfields' Jake Andrews, 9-2, and American’s William Jarrell, 3-1. 

“He is getting used to wrestling under that type of pressure and expectation, which is good for him,” Borrelli said. 

The Chippewas resume next Sunday when they take on Ohio University in Athens at 2 p.m.