Whitmer appoints two members to CMU Board of Trustees

d-botroom-art-092222
The CMU Board of Trustees meets for its formal session on Sept. 22, 2022 in the Bovee University Center's Lake Superior room.

In a press release on Feb. 2, Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced she is appointing two new members to Central Michigan University's Board of Trustees. 

According to CMU's website, the board has eight members who make decisions about finances, enrollment, academics, long-term planning and the university's mission statement. The board also appoints and evaluates CMU's president. 

Trustees Richard Studley and Robert Wardrop's terms both expired on Dec. 31, leaving vacant spots. The governor of Michigan is responsible for appointing new members to CMU's board. The appointees then have to be approved by the state senate. 

Read more about the two appointees below: 

Denise Mallett 

According to Whitmer's press release, Mallett is from Detroit and is a partner at Marygrove Consulting. She works "with predominantly Black and Hispanic-serving college programs on management services and professional development," the release said.

The release also said she has leadership experience with the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy, Marygrove College, Wayne County Community College and the University of Detroit Mercy. 

Mallet earned her Bachelor's of Business Administration from the Detroit College of Business, a Master's of Arts at Marygrove College, a Doctorate in Education from Wayne State University and a Diversity and Inclusion Certification from Cornell University, according to the press release. 

Her term at CMU began on Feb. 2 and will expire Dec. 31, 2030.  

Todd Regis  

Regis hails from Flat Rock and is the vice president, foundation director and director of legislative and community affairs for United Food and Commercial International Union Local 951, according to Whitmer's release. 

Previously, he was the commissioner for the Michigan Commission on Agriculture and Rural Development, the release said. Regis has also been a member of the Potter Park Zoo Advisory Board, the Michigan Food Policy Council and the Michigan Food Security Council. 

Regis earned his Bachelor's of Business Administration from Western Michigan University. 

His term also began on Feb. 2 and will expire on Dec. 31, 2030.

President Bob Davies said he is excited to welcome the new members. 

"I have spoken briefly with both Trustee Mallett and Trustee Regis, and I look forward to working with them to advance the mission and goals of our university," Davies said in a written statement. "Both are excited to join our university community and the CMU Board of Trustees." 

The next formal board meeting will be 11:15 a.m. on Feb. 16 in the President's Conference Room in the Bovee University Center.