Gymnastics ends four meet win streak with loss to WMU

d_gymnasticsvsbowlinggreen_photo_1-27-23_10
Senior Aleysia Kolyvanova performs on the balance beam for the CMU Women’s Gymnastics Meet against Bowling Green Friday, Jan 27 in McGuirk Arena. This performance earned her a score of 9.200.

Central Michigan gymnastics was handed its first loss in over a month by conference rival Western Michigan on Sunday. 

The Chippewas had a narrow lead in the first and second rotations. However, after the third rotation the Broncos were able to come back and win the meet with their performance on floor with a final score of 196.750-195.825. 

This marks CMU's first loss to a Mid-American Conference opponent this season, coming into the meet defeating all three MAC teams they faced. 

Seniors Hannah DeMers and Aleysia Kolyvanova posted career bests on beam with a score of 9.925, tying one another for first. 

Freshman Luciana Alvarado-Reid and DeMers tied for first place on bars with a score of 9.850. DeMers also took first place in the all-around with a score of 39.525. Alvarado-Reid took third with 39.225. 

The Broncos took first on floor with Cassie St. Clair and Payton Murphy each recording a 9.900. DeMers was in a three-way tie for second with a 9.875 alongside WMU's Ronni Binstock and Donnakathryn Roy.  

DeMers also tied for first on vault with St. Clair with a score of 9.850. 

The Chippewas look to bounce back as they travel to Muncie, Indiana to compete against Ball State on Sunday at 1 p.m.