American Missionaries' in modern China lost photographs, film: Joseph Ho to speak, Feb. 27

d_photoofthedayjk_photo_2-1-23_1

CMU students walk past the Park Library, Wednesday, Feb 1, on the campus of Central Michigan University. The library is always a busy place on campus for students to study, read some books, or just hang out. 

A historian and professor at Albion College and University of Michigan, Joseph Ho, will talk on modern China and American encounters in rare photographs and film from 7:30 to 9 p.m., on Monday, Feb. 27, in Central Michigan University‘s Park Library auditorium. The event is open to the public. 

Ho will present his book “Developing Mission: Photography, Filmmaking, and American Missionaries in Modern China”, proceeded by a Q&A for attendees to ask questions. 

Jennifer Liu Demas, a faculty member at the department of History, World Languages and Cultures, said she invited Ho to speak, because he already held a successful workshop for CMU graduate students about seven years ago. Now, she said, Ho is returning with an “interesting” discussion. 

“He’s going to be be using lost or rare photographs and film,” Demas said. “I think they’ll be very fascinating for the audience … I am looking forward to seeing some of these rare photos and film.” 

Demas said Ho in his book talked about American missionaries who carried cameras with them when they went to China in the 20th century, and took pictures of local people. For example, she said Ho in his book described how he visited an elderly lady in China, saw two photographs in her apartment and connected them to other photographs found in California, U.S.