What does it mean to be well? Women's History Month wellness workshop

dsc-1993

Freshmen Kaylee Lewis and Bel Craddock get ready to practice henna at Henna Night Thursday, March 16 in Bovee University Center. Many attendees chose to practice designs on their friends.

The last event for Women’s History Month on campus at Central Michigan University is a “Wellness Workshop” from 1-3 p.m. Monday, March 27. 

The workshop is hosted by the Office of LGBTQ Services and Gender Equity Programs in the Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, room 108 at the Bovee University Center. 

MoniQue Miller is a senior at CMU in the social work program and an intern in the Office of LGBTQ Services and Gender Equity Programs. She has been part of the team working to organize the event. 

Miller said the event is an opportunity for students to learn about personal wellness, and while the event is held for Women’s History Month, people of all genders are welcome. 

“They’re going to learn about wellness and the different definition for different areas of your life,” Miller said. 

After a presentation, she said the audience will get a chance to work in groups and look at wellness in different parts of their life, like physical, spiritual, mental and emotional. 

Miller said the main thing she wants students to understand is how to care for themselves. 

“As college students we often neglect ourselves because we’re on the go, we’re always busy,” She said. 

Miller added that some people might think of self-care and picture getting their nails done or exercising, but she said overall wellness is more complicated. 

She listed the recent shooting at Michigan State University and the COVID-19 pandemic as continued sources of stress for students at CMU. 

“Things are thrown at us and we’re expected to be okay, to keep going,” Miller said. 

Ultimately, she said she’s hopeful for the turnout on Monday. Miller said the ability of the event to help students should bring people in.