CMU softball drops game to MSU

softball-4-30-02
Freshman infielder Maddie Springer hits the ball on Saturday, April 30, at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After being held to only two hits late in the game, Central Michigan softball fell to Michigan State 3-0 in East Lansing on Tuesday. 

The Chippewas move to 10-13 on the season. 

Junior Grace Lehto took the circle for CMU and registered the loss. In six innings pitched, Lehto let up three runs on five hits with three walks and four strikeouts. 

In the loss, the Chippewas were unable to register a hit until the top of the sixth inning when junior Abbey Tolmie hit a single. 

The Spartans struck first in the bottom of the third when Alexis Barroso flew out with the bases loaded for a SAC fly to put MSU up 1-0. 

In the next inning, the Spartans extended their lead to two following a solo home run from AJ Militello. 

Following a walk and a stolen base from MSU to begin the bottom of the fifth inning, the Spartans added another run to their tally following an RBI double to go up 3-0. 

With one final chance for the Chippewas to spark something at the plate in the top of the seventh, redshirt junior Skylar Coberley got them started with a single. However, on the next play, CMU hit into a double play to end the game. 

The Chippewas will travel to Muncie, Indiana on Friday to begin Mid-American Conference play against Ball State, starting at 3 p.m.