Three CMU wrestlers take NCAA stage

d-wrestlingvskentstate-photo-2-5-2023-8
Redshirt junior Johnny Lovett lifts Kent State's Kody Komara Sunday, Feb. 5 in McGuirk Arena. Lovett won with a 10-1 major decision.

After placing second at the Mid-American Conference in Fairfax, Virginia, Central Michigan wrestling sent three wrestlers to the NCAA tournament in Tulsa, Oklahoma, starting Thursday. 

Redshirt junior Johnny Lovett is headed to the tournament for the third time in his career. He just fell short of All-American honors last season after going 1-2 in the NCAA tournament. 

Redshirt senior Corbyn Munson will compete for the second time in his career. In his first NCAA appearance, Munson went 0-2. 

Meanwhile, the redshirt junior Alex Cramer will take the NCAA mat for the first time after being unable to compete due to injury in 2021. 

Redshirt junior Alex Cramer has his hand raised during a dual against Michigan State Friday, Feb. 17 in McGuirk Arena. Cramer had a 3-0 win against Michigan State's Ceasar Garza.

Alex Cramer

Wrestling in his first season at CMU, Cramer, who transferred from Old Dominion in the 2020-21 season, claimed his first MAC title in the 174-weight class this year, going 3-0 to secure his spot in the NCAA tournament. Cramer is 30-8 on the season. 

MARIE UNDERWOOD: Miami redshirt junior Johnny Lovett wrestles Kavan Troy during a match against Northern Illinois University Friday, Jan. 13 in McGuirk Arena. Lovett won the matchup 15-7.

Johnny Lovett

Lovett returns to the NCAA mat for the third time in his career, but this time in a different weight class. Lovett claimed his first MAC title after an undefeated tournament showing in the 149-weight class, and earned his spot on the NCAA mats. Lovett is currently riding a 12-match win streak, with a record of 19-9 on the season. 

Redshirt senior Corbyn Munson wrestles 11th-ranked Chase Saldate during a dual against Michigan State Friday, Feb. 17 in McGuirk Arena. Munson lost 4-3.

Corbyn Munson 

After going into the MAC Championships seeded at number one, Munson went 2-2 in Virginia, wrestling his way back to fifth place and claiming the final spot at the NCAA for the second time in his career. Munson wrestled in the 157-weight class for the first time in his career, going 26-12.

Setting the Stage 

Cramer is seeded 20th in the 174-weight class and will grapple Thursday morning against No. 13 Cade DeVos (25-7) of South Dakota State University. If Cramer advances, he will face off against either No. 29 Real Valencia (12-10) of Arizona State or No.4 Chris Foca (24-1) of Cornell. 

Lovett is also seeded 20th in the 149-pound weight class and will face off against No. 14 Austin Gomez (10-4) of Wisconsin the first round on Thursday. If Lovett defeats Gomez, he will face off against either No. 30 Dylan Martinez (18-11) of Air Force or No. 3 Kyle Parco (23-4) of Arizona State University. 

In the 157-pound weight class, Munson is seeded 29th and will take on No. 4 Jared Franek (22-1) of North Dakota State University on Thursday morning. If he advances, he will grapple with either No. 13 Trevor Chumbley (24-7) of Northwestern University or No. 20 Cael Swensen (21-8) of South Dakota State University. 

The NCAA tournament kicked off at 11 a.m.