Coming back to CMU: The eighth annual Diversity Symposium

20220427-img-9093

Photo caption: Juniors, Lucas Sherman and Lorena Morgan, discuss surrounding universities'   LGBTQ+ courses, in this April 27, 2022 file photo. The students spoke at the Office of Institutional and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's seventh annual Diversity Symposium. 

On April 26 and 27, Central Michigan University will welcome back its eighth annual campus Diversity Symposium. This event gives attendees the chance to celebrate and learn about the research efforts of CMU staff, faculty and students who are involved in and dedicated to activism and research for diverse populations in topics centered around equity, inclusion, social justice and belonging. 

The two day event starts at 9 a.m. that Wednesday in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Attendees will hear opening statements from CMU Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer Shawna Patterson-Stephens and CMU President Bob Davies

At 9:30 a.m. attendees will participate in the Virtual Cost of Poverty Experience (COPE), an interactive poverty simulation offering viewers a glimpse into the lives of families experiencing income challenges and their communities. CMU professors Lissa Schwander and Mary Senter of the School of Politics, Society, Justice and Public Service will facilitate the presentation. 

Following the presentation, keynote speaker Dr. Jonathan Metzl will discuss research from his novel “Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland.” His award-winning novel takes a look into how right-wing backlash policies have harmful consequences for the white voters they promise to help. 

From 1 to 4 p.m., during the afternoon sessions, students, faculty and staff will give their research presentations. These presentations will occur both days; two presentations will occur simultaneously every hour and will cover many topics surrounding equity, inclusion, social justice and belonging. 

On April 27 at 8:30 a.m. Dr. Polly Young-Eisendrath will give a demonstration of her “Real Dialogue” model. This model, according to her website, will teach those in attendance ways to negotiate one-on-one conversations over critical and relevant matters on a micro level that reduce emotional threats and repetitive hostilities and turn them into open communication and mutual discovery. 

This demonstration is followed by a second afternoon of staff, faculty and student presentations, from 1 to 4 p.m.

Participation is limited to the first 125 people. For anyone hoping to attend the symposium, registration is strongly encouraged by the Office for Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. To register for this event, click here

The tentative schedule for the Diversity Symposium can be seen here

If you want to learn more or have any questions concerning the event, email Diversity Education at ode@cmich.edu or call at (989) 774-7318.