CMU falls in series opener against Bowling Green

d-baseballvsbowlinggreen-photo-3-31-2023-07
Freshman infielder and righthand pitcher Christian Mitchelle throws the ball to first base during a game against Bowling Green Friday, March 31 in Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium. Mitchelle had four assists and one error.

On a day where rain delayed first pitch by almost two hours, Central Michigan baseball (13-11, 4-3) couldn’t seem to find its stride against Bowling Green State University (10-13, 5-5). The Chippewas struggled in every way as they defeated in the series opener, 12-3.

Through four innings, it looked like it was going to be a pitcher’s duel as CMU led 1-0, but that would change in the fifth when senior catcher Kyle Gurney singled to left field, scoring two runs to give Bowling Green a 2-1 lead.

The Falcons wouldn’t stop there, as they scored two or more runs in every inning from the fifth on, amounting in 12 runs. 

Gurney led Bowling Green offensively with three hits, four RBIs and two runs scored.

CMU couldn't capitalize on any opportunities as it left 10 runners stranded.

The biggest hit of the day for the Chippewas came in the fourth inning when sophomore infielder/outfielder Robby Morgan IV roped a double down the left field line, scoring junior outfielder Jacob Donahue to give CMU its only lead of the game 1-0.

CMU would score two more runs both coming via SAC fly, one in the bottom of the sixth off the bat of freshman Christian Mitchelle and the other from senior Garrett Navarra in the bottom of the seventh.

Leading the way offensively for the Chippewas was graduate student infielder Justin Simpson with two hits, while Mitchelle, Navarra and Morgan all had an RBI. 

To start the game on the mound for CMU was sophomore left-handed pitcher Adam Mrakitsch as he went six innings giving up five runs, on six hits, while walking three batters and striking out five.

On the opposite side of the hill, Bowling Green would send out senior right-handed pitcher Gage Schen. The Falcons starting pitcher’s final stat line included, five innings, allowing only three hits, while walking two and adding five strikeouts.

The Chippewas are back at it on Saturday against the Falcons at Theunissen Stadium as they look to even the series at one apiece at 11 a.m.