CMU baseball comes up short snapping win streak

baseballvsmiami-april-29-2023-7

Redshirt-Junior Ryan Insco gets fired up after striking out a batter to end the inning during Satuday's game against Miami (OH) at Theunissen Stadium.

Central Michigan baseball (28-14, 14-6) snapped its 11-game winning streak on Saturday in a 3-2 loss to Miami (Ohio) (15-30, 10-13). Before the game started CMU held a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the first year of turf at Theunissen Stadium.

Pitching continued to be the showcase for CMU as the pitchers allowed only six hits on the day, as junior right-handed pitcher Keegan Batka started the game for the Chippewas coming off a MAC Pitcher of the Week.

After a clean first inning, Batka left two pitches over the middle both resulting in home runs by the RedHawks. The first was a solo shot by freshman David Novak and two batters later redshirt junior Nate Stone took Batka to deep center field extending the lead to 3-0.

“Yeah, I mean they hit a couple balls out of the park,” head coach Jordan Bischel said. “But there's really nothing to complain about, our pitcher compete his butt off.”

However, Batka bounced back not allowing another run in his outing which lasted another four innings. Redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Ryan Insco added 2 2/3 innings of work while not allowing a hit.

“The last two or three weeks he (Insco) really started to find his command and find his breaking ball and he's settling in for us,” Bischel said, “He's had a couple of really good outings and that came out today with three really good innings.”

CMU had plenty of opportunities to produce runs during the game but left the bases loaded twice, ending the day with nine runners left on base to Miami’s eight.

“We got a bunch of guys on base we hit several balls incredibly hard,” Bischel said. “One call went the other way ... I maybe disagree. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but when those go one way or the other, it makes a big difference in the game. And so, it was just one of those one of those games where things didn't quite break our way.”

The Chippewas fell victim to the warning track as the Chippewas flew out to the wall four times resulting in the downfall for CMU as it couldn’t amount the big hit.

“The wind died after about three innings, and we flew out to the fence what four times,” Bischel said. “We hit enough balls hard to win they just they just landed six feet short of the wall which happens.”

CMU was led offensively by freshman infielder Christian Mitchelle who tallied two hits along with adding an RBI and junior catcher Drew Stengren also added an RBI.

The Chippewas look to get back on track and win the series tomorrow in the finale at 1 p.m. at Theunissen Stadium.