CMU baseball runs away with victory over Hillsdale

baseballvshillsdale-april-11-2023-1
Sophomore pitcher Nate Ross throws the first pitch of the game on Tuesday, April 11, at Theunissen Stadium.

A day after being named Mid-American Conference Co-Player of the Week, redshirt freshman Luke Sefcik found himself in another big moment, as he stepped up to the dish with the bases loaded and a tie game. Sefcik sent the first pitch of the at-bat right over the outstretched glove of the shortstop giving Central Michigan baseball a 4-2 lead in the first.

“Yeah, the redshirt year was incredibly helpful for him (Sefcik),” head coach Jordan Bischell said. “Now that he's you know, getting about 100 plate appearances in, you can just see the comfort levels coming in and he just worked so hard to prepare that. It's not surprising to see it pay off in games.” 

CMU (18-13) hosted Hillsdale (13-18) in a midweek single game as it came out on top defeating the Chargers 15-6.

Hillsdale got on the board first when Will Shannon doubled to left field scoring Lewis Beals. Shannon eventually came into score when Cody Kanclerz blooped a single to right field giving Hillsdale an early 2-0 lead.

But the lead wasn’t long lived as CMU quickly tied the game after a bases loaded hit-by-pitch from redshirt sophomore Robby Morgan IV, while graduate student Garrett Navarra walked in a run to tie the game at two.

After Sefcik's two RBI single, Mitchelle lifted a flyball to right field but misplayed by the outfielder, resulted in two more runs for the Chippewas as they took a 7-2 lead at the end of the first.

In the fifth inning, Sefcik continued his momentum as he launched a solo home run over the left field fence giving the Chippewas an 8-3 advantage which would only grow in the inning after Mitchelle doubled for the second time on the day scoring two runs.

On the mound for the Chippewas was sophomore right-handed pitcher Nate Ross, in his 1 2/3 innings of work he allowed three runs on four hits and two walks before exiting the game early.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Ryan Conte relieved ross in the second, as he threw 2 2/3 innings, while striking two, and not allowing a baserunner. Freshmen Evan Waters and Mitchelle also entered in relief along with redshirt junior Ryan Insco.

Hillsdale threw a flurry of pitchers throughout the game with the most effective being junior right-handed pitcher Drew Olssen whose final stat line consisted of two innings of shutout baseball while allowing three hits.

CMU takes on Ball State on Friday at Theunissen Stadium at Keilitz Field with first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m.