Mount Pleasant to host Earth Day celebration downtown

tree-planting-1

Graphic design Professor David Stairs pours water into a hole before planting a tree in this April 2022 file photo near Theunissen Stadium. Planting trees on Earth Day was a part of a graphic design capstone's final project which focused on climate change.

Mount Pleasant will be hosting a celebration of Earth Day from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 22, at Island Park. The event is a chance for Mount Pleasant families to gain knowledge about Earth Day while taking part in a variety of activities throughout the afternoon. 

Ian Mull, faculty of the Fashion, Interior Design and Merchandising Department, will be leading a free yoga class at the Island Park starting at 1 p.m. Those who wish to take part must bring their own yoga mat or towel. 

From 1-2 p.m., Bill & Craig and the Band will be playing live music in the park. 

There will be a vermiculture activity demonstrating how to compost with worms, as well as several crafts, educational activities and food trucks for the public to enjoy.

According to EarthDay.org, April 22 is marked annually as Earth Day to commemorate the beginnings of the modern environmental movement.

In 1962, Rachel Carson published “Silent Spring," a book the website said brought awareness to the many environmental dangers of farmers’ pesticides. For instance, the American Chemical Society stated birds that feed on insects sprayed with pesticides can be killed, disrupting the entire food chain. 

The Environmental Protection Agency website said, “The readers of her book, however, were less alarmed by the prospect of a ‘Silent Spring’ than they were about people dying from any number of hidden poisons lurking in what had previously seemed a benign environment.”

The creation of the Environmental Protection Agency came eight years after Carson’s novel was published. Thus, the environmental movement was born. 

Now, cities like Mount Pleasant around the world celebrate preserving the environment. For more information on the downtown event, visit MeetMountPleasant.com.