Life Safety Seminar offers life-saving skills

dsc-8594
A police car Saturday, Oct. 29 outside the Central Michigan University Police Department.

Are you looking for an opportunity to learn essential life-saving skills and keep yourself safe during emergency situations? 

The Life Safety Seminar -- organized by junior Lexi Khul, sophomore Evelyn Foltz, senior Colton Flynn and sophomore Lexi Klassa -- is scheduled for 1 to 3 p.m. April 16 at Finch Fieldhouse, 1275 S. Franklin St.

This event is an opportunity for Mount Pleasant locals to learn how to keep safe during emergencies, according to Khul. It will feature a range of sessions taught by professionals from the Mount Pleasant Mobile Medical Response (MMR) base, the local fire department and the CMU Police Department. 

Participants will have the opportunity to learn CPR, first aid, self-defense and fire safety. They can also participate in a drunk driving simulation to learn the dangers of driving under the influence.

One of the highlights of the event is the self-defense classes taught by a kickboxing world champion. However, participants must select suitable attire if they wish to participate in the self-defense classes.

The participation cost for this event is $5 if you register online in advance, or $7 if you show up in person. The registration fee includes entry to all the sessions, snacks like chips and chances to win door prizes. Door prizes include snack baskets, Dairy Queen gift cards worth $50 each and Starbucks gift cards.

The seminar is sponsored by Department of Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Administration and the College of Education and Human Services.