CMU students fundraise for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Michigan in Morey Courts

Activities such as bingo, egg decorating, bounce houses, and meeting the Easter bunny were happening at the Great Egg Scramble April 13, 2019, at Morey Courts.

Locked-in for LLS fundraising event will take place from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. on April 29 to April 30 at the Morey Courts Recreation Center in Mount Pleasant. 

The event is a part of the fundraising campaign for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Michigan. It is organized by the Morey Courts and Central Michigan University Sports Management program. 

Supporting people with blood cancer while spending time with family and having fun in Morey Courts is a “big difference maker,” according to Amy Bunting, Morey Courts executive director.

“Blood cancers are non-discriminatory, meaning anyone can get blood cancer,” Bunting said. “Our mission pillar is education and support and … to make sure that we're getting the word out about resources and awareness for leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma and other blood cancers.”

Locked-in for LLS is an overnight event for Grade 7 and 8 students, according to the event flyer. Participants will be able to play sports games, have snacks, watch movies and do other activities, Bunting said. Admissions to the Morey Courts are free, but attendees are asked to provide a donation to LLS.

According to the Morey Courts Facebook page, other fundraising events for LLS organized by the Sports Management class in Morey Courts include a Cornhole Tournament from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., April 29 and Date night day care from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., April 29.

The fundraising events have a goal to raise $50,000 for LLS by May 4. According to Bunting, students from the Sports Management program have already raised $6500 since Feb. 23.

Bunting said CMU Sports Management capstone class with a Professor Vincent Mumford came up with an idea of events and are organizing them.

“These students are amazing,” Bunting said. “I’m very grateful that they decided to come on board and help with this cause.”

For more information about the fundraiser, visit LLS’s website.