CMU softball goes 2-1 at Toledo to win fourth-straight series

d-softballvskentstate-photo-3-28-2023-4
Junior outfielder Abbey Tolmie dives at first base during a game against Kent State Tuesday, March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium. Tolmie is from Clarkston, Michigan.

Looking to rebound following a day one 5-1 loss against Toledo on Tuesday, Central Michigan softball swept the Rockets in a doubleheader on Wednesday, 3-2 and 1-0 to win its fourth-straight series. 

Junior pitcher Grace Lehto went 1-1 in the series with a shutout victory in game three, securing six strikeouts. Redshirt senior Kaitlyn Bean got the win in the circle in game two, letting up two runs on six hits with five strikeouts and no walks.

Junior Abbey Tolmie had two multi-hit games in the three-game stretch, going 5-for-11 in the series with one RBI and also two steals. On day two of the series, senior Emily Bracamonte led at the plate as she went 2-for-4 with a home run and a double, securing two RBIs and two runs scored. 

Game 1

Struggles at the plate, eight runners left on base for CMU and 12 hits for Toledo led to the Chippewas dropping the first game of the series, 5-1 on Tuesday. 

In the bottom of the first, the Rockets struck first following a double that knocked in one run. Toledo continued the momentum into the next inning when Rockets’ Macey Moore hit a shot to center field to push the early lead to 2-0. 

After stranding two runners on base in the top of the fourth, CMU gave up another run to Toledo in the bottom half of the inning following an RBI single from Moore to drive in her second run of the day and give the Rockets the three-run lead. 

Following a pitching change for the Chippewas in the bottom of the sixth, Toledo scored two more runs off of a double to go up 5-0 and add some insurance runs heading into the seventh. 

With one final chance in the top of the seventh, CMU got two runners on base and on the next at-bat, junior Michaleigh Vallimont hit a SAC-fly to score the Chippewas first run. However, the comeback effort was not enough as CMU fell in the first game of the series, 5-1.  

Tolmie led on the offensive effort, going 2-for-4 at the plate with two singles. Lehto (6-10) received the loss in the circle, pitching five innings while allowing five runs on 11 hits and three strikeouts. 

Game 2 

Looking to rebound following the game one loss, CMU opened the Wednesday doubleheader with a 3-2 victory to even the series at one. 

Similar to game one, the Chippewas found themselves down early following a home run from Rockets’ Jenna Kroll in the top of the first inning to give Toledo the 1-0 lead. 

However, CMU shot right back with a two-run home run from Bracamonte for her first home run of the season to take a 2-1 lead. 

Following a double from redshirt-junior Skylar Coberley that moved two runners in scoring position, CMU added one more run in the top of the fifth when sophomore Allyssa Hollo hit a sacrifice fly to score freshman pinch runner Cierra Laska to move the lead to 3-1. 

In the bottom of the sixth, the Rockets secured one run off of a single to make it a one run game with only one out. However, Bean delivered with an inning-ending strikeout to keep the lead for CMU, 3-2. 

The Chippewas got three-straight outs in the bottom of the seventh to secure the win and tie series at one. 

Bean got the win in the circle, giving up two runs on six hits with five strikeouts and no walks.

Game 3 

CMU secured the series with a 1-0 win in the final game against Toledo on Wednesday. 

The Chippewas scored one run in the second inning that secured them the victory. Bracamonte doubled to center field followed by redshirt senior Samantha Mills who got on due to a Toledo error. Bracamonte was batted in on an RBI single from Tolmie. 

Lehto earned the win pitching all seven innings, striking out six and allowing two hits. Coberley recorded four putouts at second base and junior Lucy Cronin recorded 12 putouts at first. 

CMU moves to 18-19 overall and will return to Margo Jonker Stadium for a three-game series against rival Western Michigan starting on Saturday at 1 p.m.