Student media board selects Fall 2023 CM Life editor-in-chief

d4f4a8a7-5273-48c8-a9e2-355693905362

Central Michigan University's Board of Student Publications voted to elect West Bloomfield junior Zipporah Abarca as Central Michigan Life's editor-in-chief for the fall 2023 semester.

The board selected Abarca on April 14 at its semesterly meeting.

Abarca started working at CM Life as a reporter in October 2021 and continued in the Spring 2022 semester. She earned the position of news editor for the 2022-23 academic year. She plans to graduate in 2025 with a Bachelor's degree in journalism and a Master's degree in leadership.

In the coming semester, she wants to strengthen CM Life's engagement off-campus.

"I want to connect our newsroom not just to students but our entire Mount Pleasant community," she said. "I want to be EIC to continue to enforce a welcoming newsroom that highlights every member of our community."

She said she hopes to continue expanding the newsroom and add more perspectives by targeting students outside of journalism and broadcast majors.

"I'm looking forward to the growth of our newsroom and seeing new faces come aboard," she said. "We started out with almost an entirely new staff this year and with our seniors graduating, it will be a similar start."

Central Michigan Life hires students of any and all programs or degree paths but historically, students studying within the College of Media and Arts have made up the majority of its staff.

Abarca said she looks forward to working with a diverse leadership team.

"We are going to be almost an entirely female-led newsroom," she said. "Almost our entire staff of editors this upcoming year are ... women. as well as non-binary." 

The board will reconvene again on Nov. 10 to select the spring 2023 editor-in-chief.