CMU women’s basketball announces new coaching staff

d-newwomensbasketballcoach-photo-4-20-2023-04
Kristin Haynie laughs while delivering a speech during CMU's women's basketball head coach announcement on Thursday, April 20 in the Chippewa Champions Center. Haynie said she's excited to coach in her home state.

Central Michigan women’s basketball announced on Friday the staff that will be supporting new head coach Kristin Haynie in her first year with CMU. 

John Motherwell is new to CMU and joins the staff as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. Motherwell has over 25 years' experience in coaching. He has worked with many programs, including Minnesota, Valparaiso and most recently, University of North Dakota.

Also coming from UND is assistant coach Nkwane Young. Prior to his role with North Dakota, Young was the head coach of Wayne County Community College for three seasons. During his tenure, he received accolades including NJCAA District Coach of the Year and MCCAA Coach of the Year. 

Micaela Kelly also joins the list of assistant coaches. She is the only coach to return to the Chippewas coaching staff from the previous season. Kelly was a part of three NCAA tournament appearances as a player with CMU, who also earned accolades including Mid-American Conference Player of the Year and All-MAC honors. 

Coming into her first coaching role is Jenna Allen, who joins CMU as an assistant coach. Allen is just coming off a professional career in Spain, where she played for Baxi Ferrol for four seasons. Before her professional career, she played at Michigan State where she broke the 1,000-point mark. 

Jared Roane will take on the role of scouting director and video operations for the Chippewas. Before coming to CMU, Roane worked with Haynie on the MSU women’s basketball team as the Spartans’ video coordinator. He also worked with Illinois State University as the coordinator of operations for two years. 

The last member of the new staff is Jackson Marlan, who will be the director of Basketball Operations. Marlan was on the staff at MSU during Haynie’s time as assistant coach.