Some CMU parking lots to be restricted during move-in week

Access will be limited to those with passes, with aims to keep moving process smooth

dsc-0293

A student moves into East Community in this Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2022, file photo at  Fabiano Hall. Several campus parking lots will be closed Aug. 21 to 26 to accommodate incoming students during Move In Week. 

As Central Michigan University prepares for students to move in, the Division of Student Affairs has announced parking lot closures for move-in week. 

These closures affect all students and staff arriving early for IMPACT and Leadership Safari, athletes, marching band and regularly scheduled move-in students. The only exception is for students moving into their hall with unloading passes.

Lots 37, 38, 39, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, 50, 52 and 53 will be closed from 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21 until 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, according to an email announcement from the division. Everyone, including people driving to the residential restaurant in the East Community, will be directed to in open lots by STT, the security company that helps monitor parking lots to ensure a safe move in.

"The [closed] lots are the locations closest to the residence halls," said Erica Johnson,  interim assistant vice president for the Division of Student Affairs. "Basically there has to be a flow of traffic to ensure that everyone can get to the buildings to unload their items and then move on to the appropriate lot."

Students are allowed to temporarily park in lots 22, 33, 55, and 75 until 5 p.m. Aug 26 and must move their vehicle into their designated lot by 6 p.m. Aug. 27. 

"[Students should] make sure to read all the emails from Residence Life, so they know all the information they need to make their move in plans and ensure they have their CMU ID, whether that be a physical card or electronic," Johnson said. 

Please click here for the parking map for reference. For more information, please contact reslife@cmich.edu.