CMU earns ‘huge’ first MAC win while on the road

Chippewas’ win ends Miami (Ohio) streak on home turf

d-soccervpurduefortwayne-photo-9-10-2307
The Central Michigan University women's soccer team celebrate Lauren Walker's (2) successful goal against Purdue-Fort Wayne at CMU's soccer/athletic complex in Mount Pleasant, Mich. on Sept. 10, 2023.

The Central Michigan Chippewas earned their first win of the Mid-American Conference after traveling to Oxford, Ohio Sunday afternoon. CMU emerged from a scoreless first half and rushed the net, scoring two goals in the matter of minutes. Junior forward Jenna Little scored both with powerful shots to the bottom of the net.

After a devastating opening to the Mid-American Conference (MAC) season against Eastern Michigan, the Chippewas knocked down the Miami (Ohio) RedHawks 2-1 on Sunday afternoon. The Chippewas are now 1-1 in the MAC standings. 

“Jenna has been great for us. I think she will be the first to admit that she’d like to score more goals,” head coach Jeremy Groves said. “She’s been creating lots of chances for herself. I knew it was only a matter of time before the goals started going in.”

The Chippewas finally were able to dominate a game with constant opportunities for goals with a total of 10 shots, seven being on goal. Later in the second quarter, Miami was able to slide one past goalkeeper Allison LaPoint but couldn’t equalize. The RedHawks have been undefeated this season at home until falling to the Chippewas. 

“This win is huge for our belief,” Groves said. “After a disappointing performance (against Eastern), it was important that we bounced back with a good one today. Full credit goes to our players, they were focused and determined to prove that Thursday wasn’t us.”

As the season continues, the Chippewas continue to fight for a spot in the MAC tournament. With their first in the conference, CMU remains in the running for a chance to be conference champions. 

“Every team who we play from here on out is fighting for points to make the tournament,” Groves said. “It’s important we focus and pick up points each week.”

Central Michigan returns home this Thursday, Sept. 28, to face rivals Western Michigan at 7 p.m. According to  Groves, this is one of the most important games of the season so far. 

“I think we prepare for this like every other game,” Groves said. “We as a group know how much of an important game it is.”