CMU sends seniors off with first win of the season

d-soccervpurduefortwayne-photo-9-10-2307
The Central Michigan University women's soccer team celebrate Lauren Walker's (2) successful goal against Purdue-Fort Wayne at CMU's soccer/athletic complex in Mount Pleasant, Mich. on Sept. 10, 2023.

In a day celebrating its seniors, Central Michigan University soccer earned its first win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Purdue-Fort Wayne on Sunday. The Chippewas are left with a 1-1-3 record as they head into their Mid-American Conference opener game against Eastern Michigan on Thursday, Sept. 21.

The six CMU seniors comprise Addie Brown, Abigale Edwards, Megan Scholten, Emily Penney, Elizabeth Chlystun and Matilda Melin. 

In the match against PFW, the Chippewas maintained possession for most of the game, finishing with 17 shots, 10 on goal.

“I think we took our chances when we had them,” head coach Jeremy Groves said. “We were more optimistic and scored a couple more goals.”

The Chippewas earned their first point of the game by Lauren Walker, after a pass from Jocelin Zimmerer that bolted past PNW's goalie. CMU remained with a 1-0 lead going into halftime and responded with another goal that was volleyed into the back of the net by Jenna Little. 

Little earned her second goal of the season after a direct pass in front of the net from Lauren Walker.

“Lauren Walker has played amazing in the last four games,” Groves said. “Good for her to get a goal today, as well as the assist to Jenna, who had a really nice finish.”

Not long after the second goal, the Mastodons responded with a goal, as the ball slipped passed CMU goalkeeper Allison LaPoint. With 20 minutes left in the game, CMU’s defensive line took a hit. 

“We took our foot off the gas thereafter we went 2-0 up,” Groves said. “We let them back into the game and had some nervy moments, but I am happy we fought our way back and got the win.”

LaPoint, the redshirt junior keeper, was tested when Purdue continuously shot on goal. LaPoint prevented a total of three goal opportunities by the Mastodons.

The goal for the Chippewas for this week's MAC conference opener is to keep the intensity, pushing the ball forward and taking every chance available. 

“Some people didn’t dress today or play,” Groves said. “We have a little bit of time to recover and get those people back. Taking those chances is going to be the key to another win.”

The Chippewas will return home for their first conference game at 7 p.m. on Sept. 21 against Eastern Michigan.