CMU soccer breaks two game losing streak in intense matchup

d-soccervsbuffalo-photo-10-5-23-07

CMU junior forward Cece Mernatti wards off opponents during the game against Buffalo,  Thursday, Oct. 5 in the Multipurpose Complex. (Ella Miller | CM Life) 

Central Michigan soccer broke its losing streak with an aggressive 2-2 tie against Buffalo on Thursday. The Chippewas now stand 1-3-1 in the Mid-American Conference and 2-4-4 overall. The Chippewas now stand 10th in the MAC with six games left to play.

“We were pretty good, we were disciplined in what we were trying to do,” Groves said. “We started to go forward and (then) create chances and obviously scored two goals.”

Buffalo opened up the game with a goal slipping slightly past CMU goalkeeper, Allison LaPoint giving the Bulls the lead in the second minute of play. 28 minutes later, Chippewa midfielder Claudia Muessig booted the ball past Buffalo’s keeper making the score even going into the second half. 

After an explosive beginning to the second half, the Chippewas created another opportunity to score when forward Jaelyn Dobrowolski sent the ball to the back of the net after a breakaway run from forward CeCe Mernatti putting CMU up 2-1. 

Ten minutes later, the Bulls slipped past LaPoint for the equalizer in the 83rd minute. 

“I think it’s just a little bit of belief,” Groves said. “Buffalo is a good team; they’ve beaten some good teams this year. I think it gave us belief in the first half when we came back 1-1 that we can play with these people.”

The Chippewas are on the road again this Sunday facing Kent State at 1 p.m. in hopes of gaining another win under their belts to possibly reach the MAC tournament at the end of this season. 

“I think once our players figure out that they can actually do it, the confidence part of it, they’re going to take off," Groves said.