CMU soccer falls 3-1 on the road

After a strong start on both ends of the field, Central Michigan soccer and Kent State faced many opportunities to score totaling 13 shots and six on goal in the first half. The Golden Flashes capitalized on their chances in front of the net as they came out on top 3-1 on Sunday. 

The game remained scoreless until a foul by CMU prompted a free kick which gave KSU the lead in the 38th minute. Head coach Jeremy Groves emphasized on certain mistakes and details that have been hurting the team in the last few games.

"We have to keep fighting," Groves said. "Instead of being patient, moving feet, and defending, we dive in."

The Golden Flashes found the back of the net five minutes into the second half to take a 2-0 lead. KSU scored its third goal in the 77th minute from a penalty kick that slipped past CMU goalkeeper Allison LaPoint.

Forward Matilda Melin, put the Chippewas on the board with their only goal in the 85th minute after tipping the ball in past Kent State's goalie.

"We played decent in spells today," Groves said. "We had some good moments going forward. We have to do more in and around the box in terms of attacking." 

CMU still remains tenth in the Mid-American Conference with a 1-4-1 record. With five games remaining in the regular season before the MAC tournament Groves believes the Chippewas need to set up opportunities to earn goals.

"We need to take more shots instead of passing," Groves said. "If we get more numbers in the box, we'll have more opportunities to serve a ball in the net."

CMU will travel to Athens, Ohio in hopes of earning a second MAC win against Ohio University Thursday at 4 p.m.