L.e.g.a.C's Purpose in Pink

Breast Cancer Awareness Month event

Purpose in Pink event aimed to raise awareness about breast cancer while also helping students reflect on finding their purpose in life. 

L.e.g.a.C (Listening, engaging, and growing authentically through Conversation) held this event on Wednesday, Oct. 18, in Anspach 161.

The event featured an open microphone session that allowed students to share their thoughts, and speak with icebreakers and group discussions. 

Prior to the event L.e.g.a.C encouraged attendees to wear pink to show support for breast cancer awareness. They also set up informational boothes to provide resources and education around breast cancer risks, screening and treatment options.

“We want to spread awareness for breast cancer while also helping students navigate this semester and find their purpose,” Laila Lloyd, L.e.g.a.C president, said. 

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women in the  U.S., with Black women disproportionately affected, Lloyd said.

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention most recent data, in the U.S. in 2020, there were 239,612 cases of female breast cancer. Death caused by breast cancer numbers reached 42,273 in 2020.

“It’s something that's not talked about a whole lot, (but) should be,” Lloyd said.

Ciaira Pope,  L.e.g.a.C’s treasurer, highlighted the significance of intertwining conversations around breast cancer and purpose.

Senior Tiarra Weddle, president of L.e.g.a.C, starts off the Purpose in Pink event by discussing what attendees will be doing, Wednesday, Oct. 18, in Anspach Hall 161. Weddle not only led discussions but participated in icebreakers. (CM-Life | Sophie Paar)

“We want to help students not only remember that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but also find their purpose and navigate the upcoming semester,” Pope said.

Josiah Jones, sophomore, said the event’s focus resonated with him after attending a previous L.e.g.a.C event.

“It really helps me in a way, having a simple question like ‘Why am I here?’ or ‘What’s my purpose?’” Jones said.

As a future psychologist, Jones wants to help people work through mental health issues to find purpose.

“People need help with their emotions and what goes on inside the head,” Jones said.

L.e.g.a.C's mission at Central Michigan University, Lloyd said, is to start important conversations on campus that help students grow.

Previous L.e.g.a.C events have focused on topics like financial literacy and maintaining mental health. The student organization has more programming planned this semester to provide opportunities for students to find community, meaning and direction in their lives.

“We hope students walk away from our events motivated to reflect on their purpose and how they can uplift others,” Lloyd said.

To learn more about future campus events, visit Engage Central.