Get high not sick

How to prevent greening out

marijuana-safety
Photo Illustration.

Marijuana is a vast growing substance and has been around for decades. Now that it is becoming legalized, it is frequently talked about and legally acceptable to use. 

Marijuana is a substance that has been around for a long time. However, for some people it is new, and they are fresh to the scene of partaking in it. 

According to an article published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 48.2 million people, or about 18% of Americans, used cannabis at least once in 2019 — whether that be edibles or bud itself in the form of joints, bongs, bowls, etc. 

Whether you are smoking marijuana or eating it, there are certain safety tips that could be beneficial to know, according to an article published by The Summit Wellness Group. For those who are legal to partake, these tips can be seen as guidelines to prevent the overconsumption of cannabis and the possibility of "greening out".  

The term greening out is the outcome of an individual consuming too much cannabis within a very short period of time, according to Royal Queen Seeds.

Before diving into how not to green out, here are some symptoms or signs of a green out, according to The Summit Wellness Group:

• Nausea 

• Vomiting 

• Confusion 

• Rapid heartbeat 

• Dizziness 

• Pale skin 

• Slurred speech

Not everyone will experience a green out, nor will a green out happen every time. There are many different tips, tricks and ways to prevent someone from greening out while still being able to enjoy the effects of marijuana. 

“You want to make sure that you’re paying attention to whether or not you have sativa, hybrid or indica,” JARS cannabis lead bud tender Katrina Olson said. “It’s going to be my first thing that I’m going to make sure somebody’s gonna to get the right thing.”

Here is what to know about sativa, hybrid and indica strains:

Sativa is meant to relieve anxiety and give a person energy, according to Rise Cannabis. However it can cause you to have stronger psychological effects such as hallucinations and paranoia. 

Indica is meant to relive pain and help with insomnia. It is sometimes called "indacouch" because of how relaxing it could be, according to Olson. 

Hybrid is a mix of both sativa and indica, meaning you will get a boost of energy followed by a feeling of being tired. 

According to Old Pal, it is important to practice mindfulness when you use cannabis. Figure out why you want to get high: are you looking for pain relief or relaxation, or do you want to inspire creativity? It is important to know what kind of marijuana you want before you start consuming it. 

“We'll look at different percentages of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) counts, Cannabidiol (CBD) pounds and terpenes to see what's in there for the person that helps them with whatever they need," Olson said.

Once you have figured out what type of marijuana you want to partake in, the next step is figuring out how much. 

“The other thing you want to pay attention to is your milligrams,” Olson said. “There are 10 milligrams, 20 milligrams, 200 milligrams, 100 milligrams. So, you want to pay attention to that and safely take what your body can consume. If you’re buying a 200 milligram, I would suggest cutting it in half or even two quarters and take it slowly.” 

The number of milligrams depends on the person and will be different for everyone. The best advice is to start small and slow. Don’t take too much in a small amount of time. If you need to take more, space it out to avoid greening out. 

According to BICA Recovery Center, a tip to not green out is using the same product. 

Don’t mix the way you consume weed. If you start with smoking, stick with smoking and if you start with edibles, stick with edibles. BICA Recovery also said it is best to wait between does and not to mix with alcohol. 

Another easy way to prevent a green out is staying hydrated. Drink plenty of water before indulging in marijuana, during intake and after. It is also a smart idea to decrease caffeine intake while partaking. 

For more information on greening out and how to avoid it visit EarthMed.