Swapping and shopping at CMU

Students from RPL 340 host a shopping event aimed at eco-friendly and sustainable practices

thumbnail-img-4760
Examples of raffle prizes at the Learn, Shop, Grow event from 1-3 on April 23 at Finch Fieldhouse. Photo courtesy of Kaitlin Ottoman and the Learn, Shop, Grow team.

Peter Overgaard is an event and recreation management major at CMU. As part of his Recreation, Parks and Leisure 430 course, he’s working with a group to host the “Swap and Shop” event, inspired by ancient trade systems. 

The Swap and Shop event is scheduled to commence at 1 p.m. this Sunday, Nov.19th in room 113 at Finch Field House.

To facilitate a streamlined swapping process, the event categorizes items into lower, middle, and higher value sections, accommodating diverse participant budgets and preferences. 

Accepted items include: 

• Clothing
  • Jewelry
  • Furniture
  • Drawstring bags
  • Shoes
  • Keychains
  • Household items

The event excludes damaged items, maintaining a quality standard, and restricts certain personal goods like perfume, stained clothes and food to uphold a focus on individual style, Overgaard explained.

Open to both CMU students and the Mount Pleasant community for free, the event encourages active participation, but registration is mandatory for those intending to bring 15 or more items, ensuring organizational efficiency.

“The event is positioned as a distinctive gathering for fashion enthusiasts and those seeking to refresh their wardrobe,” Overgaard said.