GUEST COLUMN: CMU students and snowmen take a stand against climate change

775ff67f-77d5-4d9a-8130-e0a87e2e4c36
CMU students make snowmen to spread awareness on climate change. Courtesy photo from Central Student Sierra Club.

By Claire DeBlanc

President of Central Student Sierra Club

On Tuesday, Jan. 23 students and community members joined together to build snow people and fight for climate action. Two Central Michigan University student groups, Central Student Sierra Club and Take Back the Tap were involved, as well as the Mount Pleasant chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby and Citizens’ Climate Education. 

Protesting by way of snowmen is a way to personify a representation of the climate and give it a voice. After all, snowmen have the most to lose when it comes to the climate crisis. With inadequate climate action, we will be faced with more unpredictable seasons, including warmer winters. Obviously, the snowmen had to take a stand. 

Building the snowmen was a joy filled experience. Students and community members got the chance to work and laugh together. On their way across campus, students walked by and some stopped to interact. 

One student passing by decided to stay and help because he believed in the importance of climate action. Another student and president of Take Back the Tap, Lauren Dey, noticed how joyful the group was.

“This is why being outside is so great,” she said. “It just makes me so happy.” 

This serves as a reminder to go outside and enjoy life and to find creative and fun ways to advocate for climate action. 

If you would like to get involved with Take Back the Tap and help them in their mission to reduce the use of bottled water on campus, contact Lauren Dey, dey1le@cmich.edu for more information.

If you would like to get involved in Central Student Sierra club, contact Claire DeBlanc, debla1cd@cmich.edu for more information. The mission of Sierra Club is to preserve, advocate and explore our world. By joining the Sierra Club, you can do all three by participating in bi-weekly hikes and volunteering!

Citizens’ Climate Lobby is a nonpartisan organization that pushes for effective climate policy through building consensus. Email mtp.mi.ccl@gmail.com for more information about the Mount Pleasant chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby. 

Headshot of Claire DeBlanc, courtesy of DeBlanc.

Claire DeBlanc is a senior at CMU with a major in environmental studies and political science and a minor in environmental science. She also serves as the president of the Central Student Sierra Club.