CMU baseball drops three-straight in Dallas

d-baseballvsbowlinggreen-photo-3-31-2023-05
Junior catcher Nick Dardas blocks a pitch thrown in the dirt during a game against Bowling Green Friday, March 31 in Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium. Dardas had five putouts during the game.

Central Michigan baseball finished its trip to Texas this weekend where it faced off against No. 24 Dallas Baptist in a three-game series. The Chippewas lost all three games as the Patriots dominated the whole series.

CMU falls to 3-6 overall on the season.  

Game 1

CMU was held scoreless in its first game of the series as it couldn’t get anything going on offense with only four hits on the day. 

The Patriots got the scoring started early with an RBI single out to right field in the bottom of the first. Three scoreless innings followed until a home run by the DBU brought in two more runs, extending the lead to three.

Dallas Baptist finished the game with five more runs in the last four innings to make the final score 8-0.

Game 2

After two scoreless innings to begin the matchup on Saturday, the Patriots got on the board with seven runs in the bottom of the third. 

The Chippewas responded with two runs at the top of the fourth, but it would not be enough because DBU answered right back with eight runs in two innings.

A home run by freshman left fielder Mikey Murphy and an RBI single by senior center fielder Jacob Donahue gave CMU some momentum and brought the score to 15-4 after the sixth. 

The Patriots added another run in the seventh while CMU tacked on three more in the last two innings to bring the final score to 16-7 and give Central Michigan its second-straight loss. 

Game 3

In the final game of the series on Sunday, the Patriots led the Chippewas 3-0 after four innings, but DBU broke the game open in the fifth with 10 runs.

Dallas Baptist continued its scorching hot offensive performance in the sixth adding three more runs off of two home runs.

Central Michigan put up three runs in the seventh to end the game on a positive note. However, the game ended at 16-3 after 6.5 innings due to the mercy rule.

The Chippewas travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma next week to take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys in a four-game series. The series starts on Friday at 5 p.m.