LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Early voting in Powers Hall, Aquatic Recreation Center proposal

ltte

Dear Central Michigan University community, 

I have been a member of the CMU and Mount Pleasant communities for more than 29 years. During this time, I have seen great support and partnership between the CMU community and the greater Mount Pleasant community. This partnership has allowed both the university and our community to thrive. 

The proposed Aquatic Center on the ballot this February is another way our two communities can come together and create something that will have a long-lasting impact on both the CMU and Mount Pleasant Communities. When Rose Pool closed in 2016 there became a deficiency in our community as it relates to aquatic needs. With the closure, we lost any in-door deep water, which has had a significant impact not just on the community's needs but CMU's needs as well. 

The proposed Aquatic Center would allow CMU to have greater opportunities for CMU club swimming and diving and would allow for the relaunch of the water polo club, which was a robust club before the closure of Rose Pool. 

Additionally, classes and professional training opportunities which were eliminated because of the lack of deep water and pool access, could be re-established. The new Aquatic Center would also help meet the CMU ROTC training needs and provide the perfect venue to support the Special Olympics program.

Beyond the benefits for the CMU community, this new Aquatic Center is designed to meet the needs of the Mount Pleasant Community as a whole. The Mid-Michigan Aquatic Recreation Authority (MMARA), the entity that was created in a joint effort by the City of Mount Pleasant, Union Township and the Mount Pleasant Public School District, has done extensive research in consultation with expert aquatics consultants. This work has informed everything from the multi-pool design to the sustainable business model. 

As a proud member of the CMU community, I want to encourage you to support this important bond proposal. Today take a short walk to Powers Hall on the north end of campus and join with me in voting yes for the Community Aquatic Center.  

Learn more about the Aquatic Center proposal at https://www.midmichiganaquatics.com/

Please remember to exercise your right to vote. Visit www.mi.gov/vote to review ballot language and voting options. Early voting for both the City of Mount Pleasant and Union Township will be from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. daily on Saturday, Feb. 17 and ends Sunday, Feb. 25 in Powers Hall on CMU’s campus. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 27.

From Assistant Professor for the Physician Assistant Program: Allan R. Riggs. 

Office and contact: Health Professions Building room 2083, (989)-560-5604.